5th IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics
August 5-8 2014
Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Canada
Welcome to the 5th IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics (ICWIP) 2014!
Conference proceedings now available:
Women in Physics: 5th IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics, AIP Conference Proceedings 1697, edited by Beth A. Cunningham, Catherine O'Riordan, and Shohini Ghose (American Institute of Physics, Melville, NY, 2015).
Click here to access conference proceedings
To share your story click here.
This unique conference series brings together delegates from around the world to
- Showcase and celebrate scientific work in all areas of physics
- Develop resolutions to address gender issues and promote the participation of women in physics
- Provide networking opportunities to build a strong, diverse and inclusive worldwide physics community
ICWIP 2014 will feature:
A public lecture by Jill Tarter, Bernard M. Oliver Chair, SETI Institute: "SETI: Past, Present, and Future (Finding Aliens and Finding Ourselves)"
Plenary talks by distinguished speakers from around the world:
- Melissa Franklin, Mallinckrodt Professor and Chair of Physics, Harvard University
- Silvia Torres-Peimbert, Professor Emeritus, Institute of Astronomy, Mexico City University and President Elect of the Executive Committee, International Astronomical Union.
- Claudia Felser, Professor, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Director, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids, Dresden
- Sabine Stanley, Associate Professor and Canada Research Chair in Planetary Physics, University of Toronto
- Patience Mthunzi, Senior Scientist Researcher, National Laser Centre - Biophotoncs, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, South Africa
- Tsai-Chien Chiang, Science columnist, lecturer at Taiwan University and author of "Madam Wu Chien-Shiung: The First Lady of Physics Research"
- Gender Studies
- Physics Education
- Improving the workplace
- Professional Development and Leadership
- Cultural perception and bias/ Science Practice and Ethics
- Country Posters on the Status of Women in Physics
- Scientific Posters on research in any area of physics or physics education
Outreach activities and events organized by
- The Laurier Centre for Women in Science
- The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
Tours, outings and special events including an evening of music with Laurier faculty member and Grammy-winning artist Guy Few, and popular Laurier pianist Stephanie Mara
Contact your Country Team Leader today!