- Home /
TravelLast updated May 15th, 2014
NEW! Outreach opportunity: To share your story click here.
FLIGHTS AND LOCAL INFORMATION
The conference will be held at the Waterloo campus of Wilfrid Laurier University. The city of Waterloo is reachable by air, rail and ground transportation.
The campus is approximately a 25-minute drive away from Waterloo International Airport, 70 minutes from Toronto Pearson International Airport, and 80 minutes from John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport.
From Waterloo International Airport, the campus is most easily reached (if not renting a car) using one of the local taxi services: United Taxi, City Cabs, or Waterloo Taxi; for which the approximate cost of taxi trip will be $40.00.
From Toronto Pearson International Airport or John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport, the campus is most easily reached using Airways Transit. Airways Transit connects Toronto Pearson airport with the Waterloo area providing 24 hour door to door shared ride service.
For Toronto Pearson airport transfers a reduced conference fare will be available. Please check back here for further information.
Waterloo is within a two-hour driving distance from the US border. Cars can be rented from most major car rental companies and driven across the border from the USA. Intercity transit service is provided by GO Transit, VIA Rail Canada, Greyhound Canada, Coach Canada, and Aboutown.
Directions to the Waterloo campus
Getting around town
The conference venue (Wilfrid Laurier University) is within walking distance to Uptown Waterloo, the centre of town. There are numerous restaurants and shops in the vicinity of the campus.
You can also get around town using local taxi services, or you can travel by bus in the Region of Waterloo using Grand River Transit. Wilfrid Laurier University is serviced by routes 7, 8, 12, 29, 200, and 201 on University Ave. W. and King St. N. A system map and route schedules are available on Grand River Transit's Web site.
Local recommendations on various activities is provided below. More comprehensive recommendations may be found on the Web sites of Region of Waterloo, Explore Waterloo Region, City of Waterloo, City of Kitchener, and City of Cambridge. Great Canadian Holidays offers a number of tours that may be organized before or after the conference.
Restaurants and Markets:
- Wildcraft Grill Bar (425 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-885-0117; charcoalgroup.ca)
- Shoeless Joe's Sports Gill (253 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-208-2884; shoelessjoes.ca)
- Itamae Sushi AYCE (253 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-886-8688)
- Quick Sandwiches (255 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-886-7492; quicksandwiches.ca)
- YoYo's Yogurt Cafe (255 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-954-7379; yoyosyogurtcafe.com)
- Eataliano Panini & Pasta Ristorante (255 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-208-9000)
- Subway (255 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-208-0076; subway.ca)
- Johnny Fresco (244 Weber St. N., Waterloo; 519-772-1122; johnnyfresco.ca)
- The Charcoal Steak House (2980 King St. E., Kitchener; 519-893-6570; charcoalgroup.ca)
- Langdon Hall (1 Langdon Dr., Cambridge; 519-740-2100; langdonhall.ca)
- St. Jacobs Farmers' Market (878 Weber St. N., Waterloo; 519-664-1133; stjacobs.com/farmers-market)
- Kitchener Market (300 King St. E., Kitchener; 519-741-2287; kitchenermarket.ca)
Museums and Galleries:
- The Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery (25 Caroline St. N., Waterloo; 519-746-1882; theclayandglass.ca)
- THEMUSEUM (10 King St. W., Kitchener; 519-749-9387; themuseum.ca)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery (101 Queen St. N., Kitchener; 519-579-5860; kwag.ca)
- Waterloo Region Museum (10 Huron Rd., Kitchener; 519-748-1914; waterlooregionmuseum.com
- Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory (2500 Kossuth Rd., Cambridge; 519-653-1234; cambridgebutterfly.com)
Theatres and Cinemas:
- Princess Cinemas (6 Princess St. W., Waterloo and 46 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-884-5112; princesscinemas.com)
- Galaxy Cinemas Waterloo (550 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-883-4268; cineplex.com)
- Empire Theatres Waterloo (415 The Boardwalk, Waterloo; 519-576-0000; empiretheatres.com)
- Centre In The Square (101 Queen St. N., Kitchener; 519-578-1570; centre-square.com)
- Conestoga Mall (550 King St. N., Waterloo; 519-886-5500; conestogamall.com)
- The Boardwalk (101 Ira Needles Blvd., Waterloo; 519-744-6464; the-boardwalk.ca)
- Fairview Park (2960 Kingsway Dr., Kitchener; 519-894-2450; fairviewpark.ca)
- Cambridge Centre (355 Hespeler Rd., Cambridge; 519-624-9415; cambridge-centre.com)
- Grey Silo Golf Course (2001 University Ave. E., Waterloo; 519-664-2851; golfgreysilo.ca)
- Laurel Creek Conservation Area (625 Westmount Rd., Waterloo; 519-884-6620; grandriver.ca)
- Chicopee Ski & Summer Resort (396 Morrison Rd., Kitchener; 519-894-5610; discoverchicopee.com)
- Shade's Mills Conservation Area (450 Avenue Rd., Cambridge; 519-621-3697; grandriver.ca)
- Conestogo Lake Conservation Area (6580 Wellington County Rd., Wallenstein; 519-638-2873; grandriver.ca)
In order to find out if you will require a visa to enter Canada, refer to Government of Canada's Find out if you need a visa to enter Canada as a visitor page.
Information about the visa application process and processing times can be found online at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp
Contacts for Canadian embassies and consulates may be found on the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada's Canadian Offices Abroad page.
If you need a visa to enter Canada, then we will issue an official invitation letter to you, which you will need in order to apply for the visa. In order to request the letter, please submit the following documentation:
- Your passport deails
- Your institutional postal address,
- Your institutional email address, and
- A letter or email from your team leader stating that you are a member of the Country Team.
This documentation is to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Request for ICWIP-2014 visa invitation letter". The conference will be unable to process your request for a visa invitation letter if any of the documentation items are missing. If you require an official document, for funding purposes, stating that you will be travelling to Canada to attend ICWIP-2014, please send the request to email@example.com. Please ensure that these matters are dealt with as early as possible in order to allow sufficient time for unexpected difficulties or delays.
Affordable on-campus accommodations are available for the duration of the conference.
Dormitory or apartment style accommodation is located close to campus sessions and is available at a rate of $55.00/night, plus 13% HST (includes hot breakfast, wireless internet and parking). All prices are in Canadian dollars.
Online accommodation registration will be available beginning January 2014. Please click here: https://accommodations.laurierconferences.ca/icwip/
Off-campus accommodations are also available at a conference discount rate at The Waterloo Inn Conference Hotel.
The Waterloo Inn Conference Hotel is available at a rate of $145.00/night, plus 13% HST in Canadian Dollar. The Waterloo Inn Conference Hotel is a full-service hotel and includes 155 guestrooms, 18 function/meeting rooms, complimentary wireless high-speed access throughout the hotel, ample complimentary parking and easy access to the Expressway.
For online booking. Please click here:http://www.waterlooinn.com/
In addition there are several hotels and bed and breakfast options near the university campus. A complete list of places to stay is available at: http://www.explorewaterlooregion.com/stay/index.php